Monday, September 26, 2011

Life Lessons for My Toddler

Today I took my two-year-old to Hobby Lobby to return something.  Standing in the return line is already torture.  Thank you Hobby Lobby for making my time just a little more miserable by putting the candy rack on the counter at eye level (but just out reach) of my two-year-old sitting in the cart.

After about 3 seconds, he begins shouting "CANNNNDDDYYYYY, CAAAAAAANDY, CANNNNNDY" and leaning as far towards the candy as he possibly can. The shouting becomes screaming which naturally becomes a tantrum within 3 seconds, and I decide in my head that I'm not giving in, hoping that the other 67 people in line will magically be understanding of my decision (I have waited so long that there is no possible way I am leaving my place in line).  I say to him, " I cannot reward this behavior.  You may not have candy when you throw a tantrum" and try to move him away from the candy.  Screaming continues, but not as bad... he's calming down a little.  Maybe I won?  Feeling pretty good about myself.

Then I gave in.  Not to the two-year-old, but to this sweet old woman who appeared out of nowhere and reminded me of my Grandma. "Can I please give him this lollipop?" she said so sweetly with candy in her hand. Really? Can't you see we are learning valuable life lessons here?  But guess what I said to her with a big smile...  "Oh, sure! He would love that. Thank you -- that is so nice of you." 

And he did love it... laughed and smiled with his candy all the way to car.  Oh well, we'll try again tomorrow.

Today's score: Charlie 1, Mommy 0




1 comment:

  1. Oh Amie that is so funny! After looking at his pictures I can see why that little gal wanted to brighten her day by sharing with him!

    ReplyDelete