Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We're Baking Bread

It's a banana-bread-kind-of-morning at the Murray house.  It also seems to be a mega-tantrum morning, but I'll just tell you about the banana bread.

This is my favorite recipe!  The sour cream/ yogurt is the magical ingredient that makes it moist and rich.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c sour cream or yogurt (we often have whole milk, plain or vanilla yogurt in our house so I typically use that)
2-3 bananas, mashed with a fork

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9x5 loaf pan.
2. Combine flour, baking soda,and salt in a smaller bowl.
3. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar.  Add the eggs & vanilla and mix really well.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
5. Fold in the sour cream/ yogurt and the bananas.  Spread into the pan.
6. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack (we rarely make it to the "cool completely" stage before digging in).

You can also add 1/2 c walnuts, chocolate chips, or even a little cinnamon to spice it up if you want!

I like bananas when they are still a little green, no brown spots.  So, once they turn even a little brown they are used for bread unless someone else in the house eats them first. 

One trick I use if I have ripe bananas but I'm not ready to make banana bread -- just toss the bananas in the freezer.  They will turn completely black, don't be alarmed.  The night before I want to make banana bread I toss them in the fridge and they are nice and mushy by the morning.  They actually look really gross, but perfect for banana bread.

If Colorado would start delivering on its promise of 300 days of sun (or whatever they say) we would be playing outside instead of baking bread! Unfortunately it looks like another day of rain.  I know, I know, this is when I'm supposed to say "but it's good, we need the rain." My toddler does not need rain.  He needs to go to the park and play in the dirt.

Happy baking!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the rain! Hannah sits at the back door and points outside. I try to tell her "its raining, we can't go outside" but that makes her point harder and fuss more.

    you are funny that you don't eat bananas after they are a little spotted. Thats when I think they are best and easier for Hannah to eat cause they are softer.

    I want to come to your house and have your banana bread!

    ReplyDelete