Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tasty Treat

I read somewhere that you should blog consistently if you want people to keep reading your blog.  oops.  I just haven't had a lot of wind in my blogging sails lately. 

I was washing some kale this afternoon and I remembered that I wanted to share a new favorite snack around the Murray house... kale chips!

Stole this recipe right off a friend's blog (who posts yummy yummy recipe ideas every Tuesday and who is also maybe reading this and hopefully doesn't mind my recipe theft)... :)

1 Bunch of Kale

1 Tbs. of Olive Oil
1 tsp. of Seasoning Salt


Preheat oven to 350 & line your pan with parchment paper.


With a knife or kitchen shears, remove the leaves from the thick stems of the Kale leaf. Tear into bite sized pieces. Wash & thoroughly dry your pieces. (Most recommend a salad spinner.) Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning salt. Bake until edges are brown but not burnt, 10-15 minutes.

I would add that "thoroughly" drying is a pretty big deal... or you will get mushy chips.  We don't have a salad spinner so I use a kitchen towel to dry and then let them air dry for a while.  These are SO good... I was actually a little surprised at the yumminess. 

Everyone in our house agrees... even this guy:



Who also recently got his third haircut:




and a giant egg instead of an Easter Basket!

6 comments:

  1. sounds like a great snack recipe to try!

    And I love your boy with his neatly-trimmed hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never seen his hair so short! He looks so grown up! I'm gonna try to make these snacks if I ever see Kale at the store. I've never noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks -- hair washing for a one-year-old is much easier with less hair. Hunter, kale is in the greens section...near the collard greens, mustard greens, and parsley/cilatro at Sprouts. Its usually around $1 unless you buy organic... then its like $3.50.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'll check it out next time I'm there. And when you say "seasoning salt" does that mean like Lowry's seasoning salt? The red stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, Amie - I tried these. I thought I remembered that you said "sea salt" until I re-read it just now and found "seasoning salt." But that shouldn't make a huge difference, should it? Mine are very bitter. Richard says, "Interesting. Better than what I expected. Not as good as Lay's Potato Chips." (well, duh) They're certainly not calling my name. Do you think it was my batch of kale? Not using seasoning salt? Or just my poorly-conditioned taste buds that prefer brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making these today! (its a baking kind of day on this non-blizzard snow day) I'm gonna try some unseasoned for eli too...he may not do so well with them. We will see. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete