Sunday, April 10, 2011

I have an Easter Craft Idea

Last Easter Charlie was a baby, about 6 months old.  So, while Rob and I dyed eggs,

the little guy did this:

and this...
Box Face

This year I want him to be able to join the egg dying fun, but I don't want to have to hover over him and make sure he doesn't drink the egg dye or eat the little dye tablets that look like candy...because he would.  This kid eats handfuls of dirt and drinks bath water.  He also thinks its pretty clever to dunk his paci in the dog's water bowl and then put it back in his mouth.

So I have an idea -- we are going to find natural ways to dye eggs.  Then the silly boy can dunk them, lick them, wear them as hats, whatever.  In my mind it sounds like great fun, it reality it very well could be a great disaster.  I'll let you know, and we'll take pictures either way.

Here is what I'm thinking we will use (the great part is we already have most of this stuff)...

Blue -- Grape juice ( Wait? Grape juice is purple!  I thought the same thing but I read this one works so we are going to try)
Purple -- red onion skins, apparently you need a lot
Green -- Spinach
Yellow - Cumin or Celery seeds
Brown - Coffee (brown Easter eggs? I don't know about brown, but I do know I own coffee already so we're making brown eggs)
Orange - Paprika
Pink - Beets 

So I guess you just boil the stuff in water. The longer you boil, the deeper the color.  Strain the chunks out, then add some vinegar and dye away. 

Has anyone out there ever done this before?  Suggestions?

THE MURRAY GARDEN UPDATE:

You may remember that I mentioned I started some seeds last week...

Well, this week I am happy to report we have 12 baby zucchini plants growing in the kitchen window!


5 baby spaghetti squash plants... and no jalapenos yet.



This week I may try to get out in the garden and plant some lettuce and kale.  I'm pretty excited about the kale because I have a terrific recipe for kale chips that I got off a friend's blog.  I may need to share it soon.  Super easy, yummy, and healthy.  And toddlers eat them.  There is something VERY satisfying about seeing my 18 month old crunching on a kale leaf.

2 comments:

  1. I love when Hannah eats something that seems impressive! I think, I know adults that don't eat quiche or Mediterranean food and Hannah eats both and loves them! Good job with your little plants. Jesse and I got a lot of starter seeds but have yet to plant them. We are getting a late start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how the natural dying goes...what a GREAT idea!
    We have NEVER dyed eggs but with Aubrie being almost 4 I think its time to start the good ole tradition!

    ReplyDelete