Here's how it worked out for us:
I decided to only do four colors since our stove only has four burners. We did beets for pink eggs, grape juice for blue eggs, spinach for green eggs, and paprika for orange eggs.
- The two pretty pink eggs are dyed with beets.
- The three yellow eggs were in the paprika.
- The spinach didn't work at all. After about 45 minutes in the spinach, we stuck them in the paprika -- those are the two peach looking eggs.
- Those four grayish-blue guys spent about an hour sloshing around in grape juice.
We started with 18 and finished with 11. Rob ate some, Charlie ate one, I have no idea where the others went.
If you are considering this egg dying method, here are some things I would do different:
1. boil boil boil -- maybe even for several hours.
2. Put the eggs in while the "tea" is still hot.
3. Use grape juice concentrate instead of the bottled stuff.
When it was all over, Charlie chased the dog around with the grape juice spoon, we stripped him down to his diaper out in the yard, and then moved on to his second favorite activity of the day -- bath time!